Sunday, January 29, 2012

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0746.JPG

The top photo shows Donna Mitchell holding the report card of her grandmother, Anna Contino. Below her is Jane Montalto, who's posing with the report card of her mother, Florence Gattuso.

I interviewed Donna, Jane, and their respective families on Saturday. They were all incredibly gracious about welcoming me into their homes and sharing their stories with me. I hope to feature them in a future article for Slate.

Donna and Jane are among a bumper crop of Manhattan Trade families I've recently made contact with thanks to the efforts of volunteer researchers Catherine Bloomquist and Samantha Bulgerin. Several of these new contacts promise to be very special -- I'll have more info on some of them over the next few days. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment