Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Screen shot 2012-05-29 at 6.54.16 AM.png

On the left is Eva Greene Rosencrans; on the right, Beatrice Gross Zelin. These two women, born 10 years apart, lived remarkably similar lives: They both grew up poor and Jewish on New York's Lower East Side; both attended the Manhattan Trade School for Girls; both went on to have significant careers in the fashion industry, where their respective impacts continue to be felt today; both had major brushes with celebrity; and both finished their careers in the same place, where they may have met. Their stories -- among the most remarkable tales to emerge from my collection of Manhattan Trade School report cards -- are told today in my latest Permanent Record article on Slate.com.

I have a lot of additional research material that didn't make it into the Slate article. I'll be sharing some of that information here on the PermaRec blog in the coming days -- stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading the Slate article. Excellent.
    It never ceases to amaze me, as I read the articles, how the school followed up on the graduates. Bee's card shows her husbands name and when she had a child. 8 years after she graduated.

    ReplyDelete